Skip to main content

mary burch was five and had been off school with an illness, until the day before the bombing-wednesday,20th january 1943

she says;

that morning, i begged my mom to let me stay at school for lunch, i'd made friends with 3 other little girls,i wanted to sit with them while i ate.
my mom said no, my bro said-go on mom-i'll look after her-he was 10-she said no, my brother said id be ok
i sat at with my friends at the table, we had jam tarts for dessert, a plane flew low, past the window,we saw the pilot, we waved, he waved back, but as we waved i saw the german markings on the wing.
someone shouted for us to dive under the tables,as i jumped my jam tart fell, i saw my brother running past the table and i called his name.
As he turned, the bomb fell and i was buried. i couldnt breathe or move,i remember trying to call for help
i remember the relief of the bricks being lifted from my face.
the next thing i knew, i was lying on the cold hard pavement outside, someone was saying 'she hasnt got long' i didnt know what that meant.
my jaw was fractured and there was wood protruding from my head and back.
i got transfered to the QM in sidcup.
i remember my dad at my bedside-i asked for my brother john-i was told he'd gone to live in the countryside.
i was in hospital 2 years
i still didnt know my brother john was dead.
i returned home eventually-i heard two women saying when they saw me- 'it was her brother that was killed'
that was when i learned the truth.
for years after, if i was naughty my mom would say 'the wrong one lived'
she never forgave me
and the night before my own sons christening, she took the baby from my arms and said..
'you dont deserve a son because you killed mine'

f*ck me! isnt that sad

everyones got a story to tell
but that womans mom never forgave her-she was 5 when the germans bombed
5 years of age
what a memory to carry.. Frowner

Replies sorted oldest to newest

quote:
Originally posted by ~Cosmopolitan~:
I read that story Charmer - there were other ones too, I think?
All of them so terribly heartbreaking but the one you've posted was unbearably sad.

yep,

loads more

i dont think people know what went on, bombing, coming 'home' to no home
your friends have been killed etc..

i wasnt there,
my dad fought with the british
my mom was in england

9/11? awful terrible-one day-oh yeah, dec 7th

england-every night in WWII-schools, hospitals, houses etc..
blimey!
i reckon that vera lynn must have been a help Laugh
charmer
quote:
Originally posted by charmer:
it took me ages to write that!

anyway,
God bless 'em Clapping

if it wernt for them lot..well the country is in a mess now-but the WWII lads gave us the opportunity to live in a free country..
i bet they wished they'd never f*cking bothered

what a mess this country is Frowner

My dad fought in WW2 (and got captured), and then worked as a nurse all the rest of his life. I think he would be appalled if he could see things now Frowner
Baz
quote:
Originally posted by ~Cosmopolitan~:
quote:
Originally posted by Sir HP:
I appreciate that the mother must have been through hell losing her son and all, but how sad she chose to pass that pain on

I agree. It also comes over that she didn't really stop to think about what that child had witnessed....and been through.

true

she was a kid of 5years of age

off to bed now

one thought before i go to bed

thank Gawd for them lads who have enabled us to be here
im a big bloke but D day?..blimey..could you..?70 years later Thumbs Up
charmer

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.