Skip to main content

Mongrels every time for me. Although there are a lot of breeds I like for looks and temperament, I am really against breeding dogs for money especially when there are so many unwanted dogs out there.
I especially dislike the breeds that are mutated to have serious health problems just to get a certain look - cruel and unnecessary imo
FM
Reference:
Mongrels every time for me. Although there are a lot of breeds I like for looks and temperament, I am really against breeding dogs for money especially when there are so many unwanted dogs out there. I especially dislike the breeds that are mutated to have serious health problems just to get a certain look - cruel and unnecessary imo
Fair point Veggie.
Yogi19
Hiya Ditty
I understand why people want certain breeds as with a mongrel it can be really hard at the puppy stage to see what you will end up with
I grew up around dogs, my stepfather's family have always bred, boarded and groomed dogs professionally so I've seen the industry (for that's what it is) from the inside.
My stepfathers family are reputable, kind and decent but even so...........
Hypocritically one of the breeds I would love to own are Bernese Mountain dogs

FM
Hi Veggie...

yep.. and this is where I am a dirty great hypocrite too...  when I had finally bullied my hubby into agreeing to get a puppy, I gave serious consideration to doing what I knew was the right thing... and getting a cross breed.

I desperately wanted a cairn, cos I wanted a dog that had the character that my childhood dog had...  but I think I would have taken the plunge on a cross breed had it not been for the kids.   they had never had much experience with a dog before... my son was terrified of them... I ended up getting the cairn cos I knew what to expect.

the huge hypocrisy in this is that actually had that been the major reason for choosing a dog... I would have gone for a lab...

terriers.. especially cairn terriers are not the best starter dogs for nervous children. my boy spent the first three weeks sitting on the stairs cos the puppy had sharp teeth and thought his feet were fair game.  (obviously we sorted this out as a priority... straight to puppy school! )
Dirtyprettygirlthing

I'm not a great lover of terrier breeds Ditty or of small dogs;  my Stepfathers family always bred GSDs, Afghans, Rotties and Poodles at two separate kennels where they also boarded and the worst for temperament were always the poodles.
We always had mongrels as pets at home, only ever had one that was a nightmare and that was because he had a brain tumour and had to be put down at 9 months old
I think it's so important for kids to grow up with animals, if only to teach them respect for other species.
Hi Chicken btw Know what you mean about the Cavaliers, so wrong

FM
It happens Chicken, unfortunately. I was about 7 years old at the time so it was over 40 years ago but I can remember all of our pets with affection.
Someone I used to work for had a Cavalier and it developed epilepsy and had to be put down as they couldn't control the fits. I wonder if that had anything to do with the brain problems
FM
We got our first Golden Retriever when our sons were small - the youngest was only 15months - because we wanted a dog which would be good with kids. She was so clever and fantastic with the boys, her looks were just an added bonus. Our second GR is now 5 years old, and is as clever and good-natured as our first. Hubby feels he knows what he's getting with retrievers and wouldn't have any other breed.
Yogi19
Reference: Annoca
Ditty - Dante has his natural tail.
YAY!!!!  

and I hear ya about all dogs been bred etc etc...  but there are some breeds where its obvious that something has to change.

I am with Cosmo on the Kennel Club I'm afraid.    Take our Cairn... he looks exactly like the dog in their breed standard picture... an absolute dead ringer.

However... apparently he is too big!  (he was one of a litter of three.. .his mums first litter).. he is totally in proportion... but is about 50% bigger than your average Cairn.

But the vet herself says... he is a fantastically healthy dog...  with excellent natural physique etc!

Hubby & I dream of breeding the Giant Cairn... a cairn the size of a great dane!  

Would have to be called digby!
Dirtyprettygirlthing

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.