Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Originally Posted by Aimee:

It makes you wonder when people will ever learn cinds, I was attacked by a Labrador which had known me for years, any dog can not be trusted imo, they have off days just like humans

Aimee, I agree totally. I was attacked several times as a child and all by 'family pets'.

I love my dogs to bits, but I also remember they are animals and if something freaks them, they are either flight or flight. And unfortunately in most dogs its the fight instinct that wins.  

I am a great advocate of all dogs being muzzled when they are out in public too.

Cinds

Totally agree  my ex wanted a dog even knowing I wasn't good around them and I would be the one that would have to be with it all day, I was so scared of it and it took the dog going for lil AIms that made him take it back to the breeder, not the dogs fault btw but dogs can sense you don't like them. I have a stray cat that I look after and that went for me and I had to have a tetanus jab, all animals can turn 

Aimee
Now that we have calmed down and got beyond the fact that the internet think that a couple of giraffes and a polar bear are more important ..........
It never ceases to amaze that people in this day and age keep inappropriate animals in captivity. From your scratter with his, "He's a big softie and loves kids!" pit bull stylie, to the local middle class woman who keeps a border collie on a lead. If you told them they were being cruel to dogs they would be horrified.
Another vote for the nanny state, licensing, confiscation, etc.
Garage Joe

It makes you wonder when people will ever learn cinds, I was attacked by a Labrador which had known me for years, any dog can not be trusted imo, they have off days just like humans

Unfortunately Aimee people won't learn as evidenced by the fact this thing keeps happening year after year after year.

The often cited don't blame the dog blame the owner does not wash with me. As we know humans can be fine for many years and one thing tips them over the edge and they commit violence. Dogs are the same and they are animals. Training, muzzels and careful exposure to the vulnerable are fundamentals.

Enthusiastic Contrafibularities

I grew up with dogs as pets and so did my sons. If you are going to mix children with dogs, then choosing a breed that is good with children and giving proper training is imperative. It is much easier to introduce a puppy into a family of children, than it is to introduce a baby to a dog that is already established in a household. (Imo).

We got our first golden retriever as an eight week old puppy, when my youngest son was 14 months old. They grew up together and their bond was unbreakable. She grew up in a household with children and was fantastic and patient with all children until the day she died. 

My son and Dil have an eight year old labrador and we have a nine year old golden retriever, and neither dog has grown up with young children. So, when my DiL was pregnant with our first grandchild, we did lots of research in how to introduce the dogs to the baby. We followed the advice to the letter and both dogs were given strict boundaries until we established the baby as part of the pack - and more importantly, a pack member with higher status than them! Both dogs are good and patient with my 10 month old granddaughter and she loves the dogs. We don't leave them unsupervised with her and will also teach her to respect their space as she grows older. 

Cinds, I understand why you keep your dogs away from young children who only visit your house occasionally, but that isn't an option with my granddaughter who visits often and sometimes stays overnight. A good introduction, setting boundaries for the dogs (and the children, as they grow older) and knowing your dog well, can make it a good experience for both.

The two recent cases of dogs attacking babies have been heartbreaking, and I agree with Aimee that in light of the recent, fatal attack on the 11 month old baby, it is incomprehensible that the malamute dog was allowed unsupervised near a newborn baby.

Yogi19
Originally Posted by Enthusiastic Contrafibularities:

Unfortunately Aimee people won't learn as evidenced by the fact this thing keeps happening year after year after year.

The often cited don't blame the dog blame the owner does not wash with me. As we know humans can be fine for many years and one thing tips them over the edge and they commit violence. Dogs are the same and they are animals. Training, muzzels and careful exposure to the vulnerable are fundamentals.

I've just said the same thing, how many times have you heard of people flipping and everyone that knows them being shocked as its so out of character of them

Aimee

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.